Saturday, December 7, 2013

Spring Breakers [A Fat Jesus Quick Hit]


This movie about spring break may be more than what it seems to be. Sure it's filled with young starlets going wild during spring break, but apparently it's a social commentary as well. I guess I'm not the brightest movie goer, as this was lost on me. Spring Breakers follows the story of four college friends, Faith, Brittany, Candy and Cotty (Selena Gomez, Ashley Benson, Vanessa Hudgens and Rachel Korine). They begin to do traditional party type things, along with some illegal activity, during spring break. They then get arrested and bailed out by Alien (James Franco) as they learn about the darker side of spring break.

This is a movie that everybody says is one of social commentary. You can argue between misogyny with the use of the leads and the general atmosphere of spring break. You can also argue that the female leads set an example of women's empowerment. I want to argue the I didn't like this at all, and I don't see the point of this comedy. Or was it a drama? I'm still not sure, because I don't remember much laugh out loud stuff. While the drama can be queued up to party girls in over their heads. This is a movie highly reliant on sparking conversation I think. Cause this brings up so many questions about society, and the way we perceive things. Such as why people lose their minds for seemingly no reason when it comes to spring break. Bringing up questions and conversations about movies, isn't a bad thing at all. But, the way this movie is presented and done is so off putting. The story is not memorable at all, while none of the characters are likable to me. 

Spring Breakers is a movie, I think. It's a highly stylized look at what can happen when everything goes south during one of the biggest party times of the year. This offers no redeeming qualities story or character wise. It also baffles me how anyone could sign on for this. I still think sparking discussion is always a good thing. But ,you can spark it in about a million better ways aside from this film.


No comments:

Post a Comment