Sunday, January 13, 2013

Seven Psychopaths [A Fat Jesus Movie Review]


This was a movie I've been waiting more than awhile to see. I loved when Martin McDonagh and Colin Ferrell got together for In Bruges. So when I saw they we're doing it again for Seven Psychopaths and added Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Christoper Walken and Tom Waits for a crime inspired comedy, I knew I was down. This movie is a comedic spin on crime movies that isn't afraid to make you laugh and then  make you cringe as blood flies. Luckily, I love these kinds of movies.

Seven Psychopaths follows the life of struggling screen writer, and alcoholic, Marty Faranan (Colin Ferrell) and his best friend, an unemployed actor, Billy Bickle (Sam Rockwell). Marty is desperately trying to finish his screenplay "Seven Psychopaths" when Billy suggests adding in the "Jack of Diamonds," a real life killer who is currently making the news. For the moment Billy works as a dog kidnapper, who steals someone's dog and then collects the reward for finding them, with his partner, a religious man, Hans Kieslowski (Christopher Walken). He has a wife, Myra (Linda Bright Clay), who is cancer stricken and in the hospital. One day Billy steals a Shih Tzu named Bonnie, unaware that it belongs to a violent and unpredictable gangster named Charlie Costello (Woody Harrelson). The chase is on as Marty meets a psychopath, Zachariah Rigby (Tom Waits) who answers an ad Billy puts in the paper for psychopaths to respond to help Marty finish his screen play. Then they have to take off with his best friend, a new found partner and Bonnie the Shih Tzu to escape a crazed dog owner out for vengeance and maybe finish his screenplay in the process.

This movie was a definitely a fun watch for me. I'm a sucker for Tarantino-esqe dialogue riddled with inside references and humor. This movie is filled with it and I laughed out loud quite a few times. I also love when a serious movie doesn't take itself seriously. There's a couple of scenes where Billy, Sam Rockwell, pitches an idea of "The Final Shootout" to Marty and Hans, Christopher Walken, explains an alternate story of "The Vietnamese Priest." They're two of the best and funniest scenes I've seen all year. Which brings me to the acting, while not mind-blowing, it's really good, by all parties involved  Also once Sam Rockwell hit's his stride it's awesome. While Collin Ferrell, Christopher Walken and Woody Harrelson all compliment him well in all the scenes they're in together. The story is highly original as it takes the crime genre and creates an entertaining story while keeping the humor about itself. 

The stories about the psychopaths themselves in the movie are great as well. Even though I know I won't be seeing the "Seven Psychopaths" that as written in the movie the characters of  "The Quaker," Zachariah & Maggie and "The Vietnamese Priest" were awesome stories interjected into this. The scenery, especially when they're in the explanation of The Final Shootout scene, were good, but nothing that would make you go wow. This is more story driven than aesthetically pleasing movie. Well aside from when blood and blood spray is toyed with. The music and overall score of the movie is good as well. Finally the movie never felt long and I never felt myself checking the time. That's always a plus for me if a movie can get me engulfed in it.

I really liked this movie and it turned out to be one of my favorites of the year. I'm glad when a movie that I've been wanting to see meets my expectations. Sam Rockwell does it again for me like he did in Frost/Nixon and Moon with a great performance and the rest of the cast in Ferrell, Walken and Harrelson make this new McDonagh film a very good watch. The story, dialogue and humor is all present in this crime inspired comedy. Don't hesitate to go a little psychotic and see this film.


No comments:

Post a Comment