Saturday, December 15, 2018

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse [A Fat Jesus Film Review]


Leap of faith. As you probably know, I’m moving in two weeks. I’m afraid, emotional, anxious and excited all at the same time. Even though I’m only moving in with a friend, it feels like that leap of faith I need to take in my life. I’ve slowed down on writing, I got my small degree last year, I’ve worked on growing bit by bit on Twitch all the while I’ve been unable to find work in a barren job market. I feel like I felt three years ago when I decided to go back to college, stuck and scared. I’ve been here for five years now, I’ve watched countless films and I’ve changed in my views and beliefs about life in general.

I think it’s fitting that Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is likely the last film I’m seeing in theaters here. Spider-Man has been my favorite superhero since I was a kid. He has also given the superhero genre a jolt on three separate occasions now over the past three years with his cameo in Captain America: Civil War, his first MCU film in Spider-Man: Homecoming and this. Sony--who just released the most bare-boned superhero origin story since Thor, in Venom--has done a 180 with this animated feature that explores Miles Morales’ origins as the successor to Peter Parker’s Spider-Man.


Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse follows the familiar story of Miles Morales (Shameik Moore), a bright teenager living in Brooklyn, New York who gets bitten by a radioactive spider and starts to become Spider-Man. He meets Spider-Man (Chris Pine) as he is fighting Green Goblin while trying to stop Wilson Fisk from starting a particle accelerator to try and access different dimensions, so he can get his family back. During the fight, as the machine is running, Goblin holds Spider-Man into the beam which ultimately leads to his death at the hands of Fisk. Unbeknownst to anyone, reality was bent and a cavalcade of Spider-Men and Women have been brought to Morales’ dimension and he must work together with them to save his world and get them back to theirs.

I’m going to get my negatives out of the way first, because these are only minor gripes. One, the disenfranchised kid (regardless of ethnicity) “winning the lottery”, so to speak, to go the better place (in this case it’s a school) is a dumb trope and doesn’t really need to be done with the Miles Morales or Peter Parker characters. They have always been portrayed as smart teenagers who kick their lives into high gear with the advent spider-bite. You don’t need more of a push to these characters. Motion blur during the action scenes was used heavily in this. Except it wasn't motion blur, it was a technique known as "smearing." I don’t mind smearing (or motion blur for that matter) for effect, but it shouldn’t be relied upon as much as it was in this. I know they did it to accent the comic-book style, but at times it was kind-of distracting. Finally, the climactic scene seemed a bit rushed. In a film that was almost two hours, there shouldn’t be a finale that feels as rushed as it did. It’s not that it was short or unoriginal, but it should’ve stood out as the final fight it was, at least compared to the rest of the action in the film.


While we’re talking about the action, it was sublime. Motion smear aside, the scenes were wonderfully choreographed, and all had purpose for the progression of the film. Even before all the Spider-people bleed in and the fights really ramp up, the action was well-crafted and relevant towards the story. While not as quippy as in the PS4 Spider-Man game, each fight felt like a Spidey fight because of the signature tone and humor that is naturally injected by it just being Spider-Man. The integration of the BAMs, THWIPs and POWs to the background of a given fight were also great touches that added to the comic-book flare that permeated throughout the film.

The CGI in the film was beautiful, again motion smear aside, the world, character design and overall vibe of the film. This film is a stylized comic-book brought to life. As I mentioned above, BAMs and POWs are all over the places. Comic-book covers are used to introduce each hero before a brief introduction about their origins and that was perhaps my favorite touch of the film. Comic-book panels were frequently used to explain things as well. The unique colorized style (and in your face soundtrack to an extent) remined me a lot of the Jet Set Radio series. It was a sensory masterpiece and you never want to take your eyes of the screen. I would compare the animation heavily to the incredible “real world” CGI used in Doctor Strange had a few years back. Everyone’s suits and style looked great and stayed true to their comics designs. I also highly enjoyed the imposing size of Fisk (Liev Schreiber) and the unique style of Doc Oc and Aunt May (Kathryn Hahn and Lily Tomlin). Seeing Scorpion, Prowler and Tombstone was pretty great as well.


Miles and Peter B. Parker (Jake Johnson) were written and voiced quite well and will satisfy fans of both main Spider-Men. Spider-Woman / Gwen Stacy (Hailee Steinfeld), was fine, but I honestly enjoyed her not being the love interest of Miles--even though that’s what is planned for a sequel. It was refreshing not needing a love interest because there’s so much emotion in just the origin stories of Gwen and Miles. While the agony of both Peter Parker’s in the film also fuels any emotional connection you would want to make. The rest of the cast including Nicholas Cage as Spider-Noir, John Mulaney as Spider-Ham and Kimiko Glenn as Peni Parker all have a unique voice, even if they’re relegated to supporting role. I feel like all the people in Miles’ family, are just alright in the film and seem more generic than anything else, even though his father and uncle are central to Miles becoming who he is.

The story isn’t anything revolutionary, it’s the story of almost every Spider-Man movie, show, video game, ever made, but it works. I’m not huge fan of--like I said above--handing out an upgrade to a disenfranchised for the sake of doing it. I think it’s to make Miles more relatable, even though he’s very relatable already. You don’t have to force the “you worked your way to this school by winning a competition and then working hard.” Just let him go to the school, we know Spider-Man alter egos are usually bright teenagers, you don’t have to politicize everything. Everything else is enough of a twist or homage to this established and beloved origin story. I’m not a fan of the whole “we are Spider-Man” thing from the end, but I get the marketing power behind it. I more related to the “leap of faith” element throughout the film and think that is the aspect people should be focusing on more. I think taking that leap of faith in your life to get to where you need to be is a much more realistic message compared to “YOU TOO CAN BE SPIDER-MAN!” I enjoyed it because it’s the most faithful adaptation of Spider-Man we’ve seen to date in a film. As much as I like Tom Holland’s MCU Spider-Man, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller have totally encapsulated the essence of a Spider-Man comic in this.


I don’t feel I need to say much more about Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. It’s a well-crafted, visually striking film, with a competent story, great design, genuine humor, good voice acting and engaging action sequences. If you’re a fan of Spider-Man, this is the film for you. It has minor problems and I have some minor gripes, but this is the most I’ve enjoyed a film so far this year and I can’t wait to give it a second watch.


-----

No comments:

Post a Comment